Monday, March 16, 2009

6 weeks, the dressing disaster

As I said, at 6 weeks I could put my hand up over my head. I was so proud of the accomplishment that I decided to wear a pull over blouse with a zipper up the back to the surgeon's office for a checkup.

When I arrived, I proudly showed the nurse what I had done. She was proud of me, too, until we both realized that I couldn't get it off easily. My arm was tired and aching and just didn't feel like the struggle of getting the blouse off.

But struggle we did. Eventually it came off but only with the nurse tugging along with me. When the doctor came in the room, I showed him how I could raise both arms over my head. His response? "I knew you could." He had faith in me when I didn't have much in myself.

But I knew I could never get that blouse back on. The nurse let me borrow the hospital gown to get home. Must have looked a strange site but I walked out of the clinic as if everyone wore a hospital gown home. I never wore that blouse again.