Friday, February 27, 2009

Harsh Words/Or Were They?

Before I went in for my possible mastectomy, I had a physical by a GP who was a member of the clinic where I was to undergo my surgery. Although my surgeon had told me he would do a radical, I really never expected it. No one in my family had ever had breast cancer at that time. I was the first.

Just a few weeks before, Phil Donahue had a guest surgeon from PA on his show. The discussion was about lumpectomies followed by radiation. This was a new procedure with no studies on success rates but his manner was so convincing. Listening to the surgeon, it sounded like a good idea to me. I was young. No history of BC in my family. Why not?

So, I asked the good doctor about other choices for surgery, especially the lumpectomy. (I had heard nightmare stories about radiation treatments at the big hospital in Wichita.) He said, "Well, we could sew you up and let you die." That statement shut me up. I didn't ask any more questions.

For years I thought that statement was harsh and even cruel. But, you know, sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. Sort of like Simon on American Idol. Gotta say it like it is.

If I knew where that doctor was, I would thank him. It WAS a harsh statement, but women facing surgery for BC should have someone get their attention without sugar coating everything. Get the facts. Choose life.

I'll get into the "HOLY GRAIL" of breast reconstruction another time. Those are promoted by surgeons with dollar signs in their eyes, women who have never had one done but want to be sure BC women have a "choice" or by BC women who are still in the honeymoon stages after the reconstruction. None of them address the real damage those surgeries from hell cause patients.

My surgeon chose a radical mastectomy FOR me all those years ago. Knowing what I know now, after reading many obits of women who chose lesser surgeries with treatments that ended up shortening their lives, I am glad he made that choice for me.

Women are only making partially informed decisions. Surgeons don't have the guts to give them the whole story about survival rates. If women knew a radical could give them 30-40 more years of life, don't you think more of them would choose to be flat chested and alive than dead in five. I like that. "Flat chested and alive, rather than dead in five."